[Python-Dev] Set options

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 13:25:43 -0500

Jeremy wrote:

> The problem with a set module is that there are a number of different
> ways to implement them -- in C using kjbuckets is one example.

Nah. Sets are pretty unambiguous. They're also easy, and
boring. The interesting stuff is graphs and operations like
composition, closure and transpositions. That's also where
stuff gets ambiguous. E.g., what's the right behavior when you
invert {'a':1,'b':1}? Hint: any answer you give will be met by the
wrath of God.

I would love this stuff, and as a faithful worshipper of Our Lady
of Corrugated Ironism, I could probably live with whatever rules
are arrived at; but I'm afraid I would have to considerably
enlarge my kill file.

- Gordon