[Python-Dev] Unicode patches checked in

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 05:06:46 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Christian Tismer wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > Sorry, but that just irks me. If you want a stable Python, then don't use
> > the CVS version. Or base it off a specific tag in CVS. Or something. Just
> > don't ask for development to be stopped.
>
> No, I ask for development to be stopped. Code freeze until Y3k :-)
> Why are you trying to put such a nonsense into my mouth?
> You know that I know that you know better.

Simply because that is what it sounds like on this side of my monitor :-)

I'm seeing your request as asking for people to make special
considerations in their patches for your custom distribution. While I
don't have a problem with making Python more flexible to distro
maintainers, it seemed like you were approaching it from the "wrong"
angle. Like I said, making Unicode optional for the embedded space makes
sense; making it optional so it doesn't bloat your distro didn't :-)

Not a big deal... it is mostly a perception on my part. I also tend to
dislike things that hold development back.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/