[Python-Dev] Allowing multiple socket maps in asyncore (and asynchat)

Sam Rushing rushing@nightmare.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:52:22 -0800 (PST)

Jim Fulton writes:
 > I find asyncore to be quite useful, however, it is currently
 > geared to having a single main loop. It uses a global socket
 > map that all asyncore dispatchers register with.
 >
 > I have an application in which I want to have multiple
 > socket maps.

But still only a single event loop, yes?
Why do you need multiple maps?  For a priority system of some kind?

 > I propose that we start moving toward a model in which selection of
 > a socket map and control of the asyncore loop is a bit more
 > explicit.
 >
 > If no one objects, I'll work up some initial patches.

If it can be done in a backward-compatible fashion, that sounds fine;
but it sounds tricky.  Even the simple {<descriptor>:object...} change
broke so many things that we're still using the old stuff at eGroups.

 > Who should I submit these to? Sam?
 > Should the medusa public CVS form the basis?

Yup, yup.

-Sam