[Python-Dev] Unicode patches checked in

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:21:40 -0800

> The unicodedatabase module contains the Unicode database
> as static C data - this makes it shareable among (Python)
> processes.
>
> Python modules don't provide this feature: instead a dictionary
> would have to be built on import which would increase the heap
> size considerably. Those dicts would *not* be shareable.

I know it's complicating things, but wouldn't an mmap'ed buffer allow
inter-process sharing while keeping DLL size down and everything on-disk
until needed?

Yes, I know, mmap calls aren't uniform across platforms and isn't supported
on all platforms -- I still think that it's silly not to use it on those
platforms where it is available, and I'd like to see mmap unification move
forward, so this is as good a motivation as any to bite the bullet.

Just a thought,

--david