[Python-Dev] finalization again

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 22:35:43 +0200 (IST)

In a continuation (yes, a dangerous word in these parts) of the timbot's
looks at the way other languages handle finalization, let me add something
from the Sather manual I'm now reading (when I'm done with it, you'll see
me begging for iterators here, and having some weird ideas in the
types-sig):

===============================
   Finalization will only occur once, even if new references are created
   to the object during finalization. Because few guarantees can be made
   about the environment in which finalization occurs, finalization is
   considered dangerous and should only be used in the rare cases that
   conventional coding will not suffice.

(Sather is garbage-collected, BTW)
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>.