[Python-Dev] finalization again

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 23:29:05 +0200 (IST)

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us wrote:

> One potential way to solve this is to provide an interface for
> refreshing the counter; for discussion purposes, I'll call this
> sys.gcrefresh(obj).

Barry, there are other problems with your scheme, but I won't even try to
point those out: having to call a function whose purpose can only be
described in terms of a concrete implementation of a garbage collection
scheme is simply unacceptable. I can almost see you shouting "Come back
here, I'll bite your legs off" <wink>.

> The point to all this is that it gives explicit control of the
> finalizable cycle reclamation order to the user, via a fairly easy to
> understand, and manipulate mechanism.

Oh? This sounds like the most horrendus mechanism alive....

you-probably-jammed-a-*little*-too-loud-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html