[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib ConfigParser.py,1.16,1.17

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 10:09:55 -0500 (EST)

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > - You could put it all in ConfigParser.py but with new classnames.
 > (Not sure though, since the ConfigParser class, which is really a
 > kind of weird variant, will be assumed to be the main class because
 > its name is that of the module.)

  The ConfigParser class could be clearly marked as deprecated both in
the source/docstring and in the documentation.  But the class itself
should not be used in any way.

 > - Variants on the syntax could be given through some kind of option
 > system rather than through subclassing -- they should be combinable
 > independently.  Som possible options (maybe I'm going overboard here)
 > could be:

  Yes, you are going overboard.  It should contain exactly what's
right for .ini files, and that's it.
  There are really three aspects to the beast: reading, using, and
writing.  I think there should be a class which does the right thing
for using the informatin in the file, and reading & writing can be
handled through functions or helper classes.  That separates the
parsing issues from the use issues, and alternate syntaxes will be
easy enough to implement by subclassing the helper or writing a new
function.  An "editable" version that allows loading & saving without
throwing away comments, ordering, etc. would require a largely
separate implementation of all three aspects (or at least the reader
and writer).

 > (Well maybe the whole substitution thing should really be done through
 > a subclass -- it's too weird for normal use.)

  That and the ad hoc syntax are my biggest beefs with ConfigParser.
But it can easily be added by a subclass as long as the method to
override is clearly specified in the documenation (it should only
require one!).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>