[Python-Dev] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib ConfigParser.py,1.16,1.17

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 03:43:12 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
> > Write a whole new module. ConfigParser is for files that look like the
> > above.
>
> Gotcha.
>
> One problem: two configurations modules might cause the classic "which
> should I use?" confusion.

Nah. They wouldn't *both* be called ConfigParser. And besides, I see the
XML format more as a persistence mechanism rather than a configuration
mechanism. I'd call the module something like "XMLPersist".

> > <IMO>
> > I find the above style much easier for *humans*, than an XML file, to
> > specify options. XML is good for computers; not so good for humans.
> > </IMO>
>
> Of course: what human could delimit his text with <tag> and </tag>?

Feh. As a communciation mechanism, dropping in that stuff... it's easy.

I wouldn't want to use XML for configuration stuff. It just gets ugly.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/