[Python-Dev] Odd behavior with `make test'

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:04:06 -0400 (EDT)

make test is behaving strangely.  The first time I ran it I got

test test_mmap crashed -- exceptions.SyntaxError : inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation

which I believe Jeremy has seen with test_sre.  tabnanny says
everything's fine, and running the module manually (and individually
w/ regrtest) shows no problems with the test.

Similarly, I got a different crash in test_sre.  It says:

test test_sre failed -- sre.search

and I also get

test test_re failed -- re.search

I'm also getting bizare stuff like

test test_strftime crashed -- exceptions.AttributeError : match
test test_tokenize crashed -- exceptions.AttributeError : compile
test test_xmllib crashed -- exceptions.AttributeError : compile

This is all with a CVS updated Python 2.0b1.

Now if I run "./python Lib/test/test_mmap.py" manually, this succeeds,
and now either the failures go away or are transmorgrified into
something more reasonable:

mmap, strftime, tokenize, sre, and xmllib all pass.

test_re still fails, but this time with

test test_re failed -- Writing: '=== Failed incorrectly', expected: "('abc', 'abc', 0, 'fou"

Blowing away the Lib/test/*.pyc's doesn't seem to re-trigger the
problem once it's fixed, but doing a `make distclean' and `make test'
gets me back to the initial situation.

Weird!
-Barry