[Python-Dev] Removing modules

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:27:07 -0400

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org>:
> > For the "deleted modules" section of the 2.0 article, I drew up a list
> > of modules that might be outdated, mostly the SGI-specific ones.  Are
> > those modules still useful, and do the libraries they were written for
> > still exist?
>
> Doubtful.  I've asked Sjoerd and Jack, who were most involved in using
> these.
>
> > For your cogitation, here's the list: sgimodule.c, glmodule.c (and
> > hence cgenmodule.c), imgfile.c, svmodule.c, flmodule.c, fmmodule.c,
> > almodule.c, clmodule.c,  knee.py.
>
> I'd like to keep knee.py -- it's a nice piece of *documentation* of
> the package import.

+1 on giving the SGI-specific modules the heave-ho.

Their presence has always struck me as a sort of vermiform appendix in
a core library otherwise clearly aimed at being as platform-independent
as rdeasonably possible (e.g. given the Unix-vs.Windows differences).
--

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never will.
Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact
	-- Frederick Douglass, August 4, 1857