[Python-Dev] New PythonLabs site revealed!

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:41:44 +1000

> Will many be spooked by the jump in version number into fearing
> incompatibility with older scripts...?
>
> I wonder if we'll end up trying to persuade the user community that
> the changes are small ("no, don't worry, your scripts will still
> work") and yet big ("honest, it really deserves to be called 2.0,
> it's not just a ploy") at the same time.

I see your concerns, but I think the trick is to be honest, just as Guido
was.  We simply say it was bumped to V2 for the reasons of percieved
maturity, and a clear break from CNRI Python.

Both seem reasonable.  I believe many people will simply wait for some form
of consensus on the newsgroup, regardless of the version number.

Personally, Im a little - umm - lets just say that I can see the irony in
the fact that I recently changed a few bits of code that were dependent on
a hard-coded "Python15.dll" to work not only with 1.6, but _all_ of the 1.x
family.  I figured there was no point trying to predict the packaging
details of the 2.x family, seeing it as still some time off.  Nothing like
foresight :-)

And-"foresight"-isnt-an-excuse-for-Tim-to-get-back-on-the-topic-of-his-geni
tals-<wink>-ly,

Mark.