[Python-Dev] CVS locks on SF

Neil Schemenauer nascheme@enme.ucalgary.ca
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:02:02 -0600

I recently made the conversion from CVS to PRCS.  I like PRCS
much better.  It is easier to use, implemented indepentant of
rcs, faster, more flexible and has versioned project meta-data.
Branching and merging is much simpiler than CVS.  Operations on
project versions are atomic.  Renaming and moving files is easy.
It is well documented.

Unfortunately version 1 does not support distributed
repositories.  Josh has informed my that version to is coming
(hopefully this year) and will support distributed repositories.

For Python I don't think that a multi-user version control system
is strictly necessary anyhow.  The PRCS repository could be made
available via rsync and a process could be setup for checking
patches into the central repository.  It should actually be more
efficient than the current CVS setup.

I just looked at the webpage and the beta for 2.0 is out:

    http://www.xcf.berkeley.edu/~jmacd/prcs.html

If PythonLabs is interested in using PRCS I will even volunteer
to make sure those Windows weenies have a good port. :)

  Neil