[Python-Dev] Test results of linuxaudiodev.c

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:55:25 -0400

Hi --

here are results from testing linuxaudiodev from the latest CVS Python
1.6.  This is on a Dell Dimension with on-board audio hardware: the
Yamaha YMF724 chipset.  I'm using the ALSA 0.5.8a driver (the latest as
of a week or two ago, and the only one that supports the YMF724).

Bottom line: the test sound plays, but it sounds horrible when played by
linuxaudiodev.  If I do this:

  $ play Lib/test/audiotest.au

then Cardinal Fang comes through loud and clear.  ("play" is a shell
script wrapper for "sox", writing to /dev/dsp.)  But if I do this:

  $ ./python Lib/test/regrtest.py test_linuxaudiodev

he's still audible (and at the same volume), but very scratchy.  Sounds
kind of like a very over-driven amp, or like a cheap car radio that
somebody attacked with a knife.

[...some time passes...]

OK, I just tried it on another machine, also a Dell but with a different
sound chip: the Crystal CS4232.  I'm pretty sure this one is using the
OSS drivers included with the kernel, which is probably the second most
important difference after the chipset itself.  Bottom line: it also
sounds horrible.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org
MEMS Exchange / CNRI                           voice: +1-703-262-5376