[Python-Dev] PyString_GET_SIZE()

Tim Peters tpeters@beopen.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 00:55:22 -0400

[Greg Stein]
> How about removing Py_PROTO() usage, and changing function
> definitions from K&R arg declaration to ANSI declarations? That
> kind of work is pretty simple, straight-forward, and if somebody
> has free time to plod through the work... so much the better.

I think it's too late in the cycle to suggest work for others to do and get
any payback from that.  Unless you're the one with the free time -- in which
case full speed ahead and God bless!  I previously volunteered to take the
Py_PROTO crap on, as I use an editor with a symbol database that gets
confused by that stuff, but I'm sure not going to start that this week.

> Hmm. Is there a good place to start listing these todo items?

Not that I know of.  "Group whiteboards" and shared journals etc are darned
useful, though.

> One that we can truly use for communicating this info? In Apache, we
> have a file named STATUS that everybody uses for dropping ideas, patch
> references, critical bugs, etc. As that file gets changed, we see it
> in the -checkins alias, so everybody is aware of the suggested
> changes/problems/available patches/etc.  It also holds people's votes
> on particular changes.
>
> Can we institute something similar? Possibly Misc/STATUS? Should I post
> Apache's STATUS file as an example?

Yes, sure, no:  just check one in!  If Guido hates it, we can remove it
later.  In the meantime, I bet we'll find great ways to use it.  In the
spirit of Unix, maybe it should be called Misc/gwtbd <wink>.

let-a-thousand-idiosyncracies-bloom-ly y'rs  - tim