[Python-Dev] OT: A Day in the Life of p5p

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:53:16 -0700

Note that the document doesn't yet cover the regular expression engine
or the "PerlInterpreter".

I can't think of a disclaimer that doesn't sound like it is tongue in
cheek but I do feel bad about beating up on a design which, in its own
way, has a certain kind of quality (just not one I happen to prefer).
When you optimize the snot out of things they tend to start looking
ugly. Perl runs faster than Python. That's probably not a coincidence.

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> What beautiful diagrams!  It almost makes me wish Python was
> complicated enough to require such pretty pictures.

To be fair, our internals documentation needs some work. I'll bet there
are a lot of people in comp.lang.python that would be interested in a
project like that or another one, such as adding a full warning
infrastructure to Python. I wonder how we could do a Software Carpentry
like deal (no money) where we get people to submit designs and ideas and
then "award" the job to someone. They could do it for reputational
capital and an opportunity to join "the team" (of CVS committers,
PythonDev denizens etc.).

It's probably better to give people ideas rather than have them
implement random things that we will need to turn down. Like stackless.
<duck and cover!!!>
The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
	- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski