[Python-Dev] Text about cycle GC

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:49:32 -0400 (EDT)

  PP> "A.M. Kuchling" wrote:
  >>
  >> An experimental step has been made toward fixing this
  >> problem. When compiling Python, the -with-cycle-gc (XXX correct
  >> option flag?) option can be specified. This causes a cycle
  >> detection algorithm to be periodically executed, which looks for
  >> inaccessible cycles and deletes the objects involved.

  PP> I propose (without any investigation into the difficulty of
  PP> implementation) that

  PP> import cyclicgc

  PP> should turn on the -with-cycle-gc flag.

The -with-cycle-gc flag is an option to configure when you build
Python.  It can't be turned on or off at runtime.

We hope that everyone will build with the -with-cycle-gc flag during
the beta testing, but we don't expect to have enough confidence in it
by final release to make it anything other than an experimental
option.

Jeremy