[Python-Dev] winreg

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:52:27 -0700

Right now the Python list is a little slow (at least for me) so I
appreciate cc:s directly to me.

Thomas Heller wrote:

> Good idea!
> Maybe HKLM and so on should be provided as aliases.

Sure.

> Someone (I don't remember who) mentioned in the discussion
> about my proposal that one should use SHDeleteKey for recursive
> deletion of keys. See the MSDN docs on RegDeleteKey for details.
> Don't know if this is exposed by the lowlevel module.

Don't think so.

> Currently it goes like this, because win32api and winreg (which
> will soon be _winreg) have slightly different apis, but it will
> doubtlessly be solved:

Ouch. I don't know if I have time to figure out all of the
correspondances. Are the only differences those four method names or are
those the only four differences that DistUtils happened to care about.
I'm not interested in 1.5 compatibility if it will take a lot of work.

When George Bush entered office, a Washington Post-ABC News poll found
that 62 percent of Americans "would be willing to give up a few of the
freedoms we have" for the war effort. They have gotten their wish.
	- "This is your bill of rights...on drugs", Harpers, Dec. 1999