[Python-Dev] Now that the man is back...

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:59:10 -0700 (PDT)

Eric S. Raymond writes:
 > OK, I guess.  It will be useful for more than curses, though, so I don't
 > understand the naming choice.

Eric,
  In theory, yes, but... there have not been a lot of requests for the
is*() functions (which are the ones I think you're referring to as
generally useful).  I think some of these are already take care of by
things like "if c in string.hexdigits:", and others can be handled by
making queries on the Unicode character properties.  Given the dearth
of requests for this, I don't see a clear need to place this
elsewhere.
  If feedback to the beta suggests a better location, we'll certainly
consider it!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>