[Python-Dev] test failures...

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 13:27:19 -0400

[Skip Montanaro]
> Turning off optimization got rid of the test_types and test_long failures.
> The test_exceptins failure remains.

Bingo, and Guido pinned test_exceptions on Jeremy.  You can likely get a
usable Python by disabling optimization only for longobject.c, if for some
reason you need to stick with that compiler.

> As for the age of my gcc, I think I'm reasonably current (only a
> bit over a year old):
>
>     % gcc -v
>     Reading specs from
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/pgcc-2.91.66/specs
>     gcc version pgcc-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release)

Well, I haven't had need of following the gcc/egcs soap opera, but I think
"a year" (& particularly the last one <wink>) is a lifetime in that saga.
"2.95" rings a vague bell, as the only compiler in that line my former
employer felt was usable for their development work under Linux.

unlike-python-so-far-they've-had-some-bad-releases-ly y'rs  - tim