[Python-Dev] list comprehensions

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:13:39 -0500

Tim Peters wrote:

> Nobody has been more vocal in support of these (& augmented assignments)
> than me, but I very strongly doubt they'll be in 1.6.  In the interests of
> getting that out the door, Guido considers the 1.6 feature set to be frozen
> already.

Is there an argument for putting in features with flaming red neon
lights: "warning, experimental, use at your risk." We want to follow a
bazaar (if not outright bizarre) development strategy after all. Putting
a patch "out there" really doesn't do much about having people really
play with and comment on a feature. I would never have experimented (and
decided against using...) metaclasses if they hadn't popped up as an
experimental feature.

Of course if there is a decent chance of breaking something already in
there that works then that's another issue...

> I think part of the pressure to get one more feature in Python (again &
> again & again) is that release cycles have been soooooo protracted, now
> slobbering well over the full year mark.

Nah, no matter how quick you do the turnarounds, nobody wants to wait
for their favorite feature. :)

Floggings will continue until morale improves.