[Python-Dev] Warnings in mmapmodule

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:22:37 -0400

[posted & mailed]

[Tim]
> I get these warnings in Modules/mmapmodule.c, all about signed/unsigned
> mismatches:

[Mark Hammond]
> Me too :-)
>
> I nearly [fixed them], but then couldnt find the time to chase up how
> Unix declared the relevant items - I didnt want to assume they were
> identical to Windows.

They all involve mixing ints with mmap_object.size in comparisons, which
latter is declared size_t and so will resolve to *some* unsigned integral
type on all platforms.  The proper fix is to get rid of the ints before
making these tests -- ask Trent, he should be able to do this in his sleep
now <wink>.

> My intention was to make the patch, then test it out on my gleaming Linux
> box.
>
> But-the-road-to-hell-is-paved-with-good-intentions-ly,

No, it's paved with Linux:  I've been using Windows so long I forgot why
Unix is supposed to be more usable <0.9 wink>.  Mark, if you've figured out
how to do a SourceForge checkin from a Windows box, drop me a line offline!
It would save me from figuring out which one of the 10,000 SSH+Windows
search hits actually leads to something that works (and, no, so long as my
entire life is sitting on my laptop, I'm not getting another OS anywhere
near this box).

becoming-a-linux-true-believer-again-is-on-my-schedule-but-not-
    for-a-couple-months-ly y'rs  - tim