[Python-Dev] RFC: Including PIL in 1.6

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:59:35 +0200

greg wrote:

> On 09 June 2000, Eric S. Raymond said:
> > I think it's time to consider including PIL in the core Python 1.6 =
release.
> > I've been following the work being done over there, and I believe =
the=20
> > code has reached a sufficient level of maturity to justify this.
>=20
> -1 from me.  What's the point of the Distutils if we just throw
> everything "useful" into the standard distribution?

strange argument.  what's the point of including *anything*
if we have distutils?

fwiw, I'm -0 on this one;

it might better to work on a "Python Standards Base" which
specifies a bunch of extensions that people are encouraged
to include in their distributions.

let's see: zlib, expat, (portions of) numpy, pil, piddle, ...

</F>