[Python-Dev] --with-threads by default (was: Towards 1.6 Final)

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 02:57:05 +0200 (CEST)

Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     VM> On AIX there are identified compiler/libthread combinations
>     VM> that work or don't work. They can be detected though and since
>     VM> the compiler is detected earlier, --with-thread can be
>     VM> automatically disabled with a notification message about the
>     VM> conflict.
>
> Can you provide a list of such combinations?

This is outlined in Misc/AIX-NOTES, section thread support.
I've heard that recent versions of gcc work as well, so long as the
executable is linked with AIX ld (not GNU ld).

Ideally, IMO, there should be an appropriate AC_TRY_RUN little threaded
program (or a program suite corresponding to different thread libs and or
standards for a given platform) that would disable threads on failure.
This approach has the merit of being applicable to all Unix flavors.

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr