[Python-Dev] Towards 1.6 Final

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:11:45 -0700

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 09:49:36AM -0400, James C. Ahlstrom wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 04:53:10PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> > > ... disclaimers applied ...
> > >
> > > - import hooks revamped (push this to 1.7)
> >
> > The latest thought had two items here:
> >
> > 1) incorporate feedback into imputil.py.
> >    [ the feedback is visible at the end of the most recent version:
> >        http://www.lyra.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gjspy/imputil.py/
> >    ]
> > 2) drop imputil into the standard library, but don't go down the "replace
> >    Python's default mechanism with imputil"
> >
> > Essentially, this gets imputil out there and usable, but it doesn't directly
> > impact Python's operation in 1.6.
>
> I would very much like to see imputil.py in the distribution.  I
> currently
> use ZIP importing, and I have the ZIP importer class done, except that
> it
> is based on the old imputil.py.  I think ZIP importing could be a
> popular feature.

Yes, this should happen.

In my current setup, I've got a second module named "importers.py" that has
some of the "standard" importers. It would go into there.

Oh, so I guess we'd also want to include importers.py into the distro.

All of this is preconditioned on getting at least some of that imputil work
done that is listed in the TODO area at the bottom of the file... I'm not
sure how soon I'll be able to get to that.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/