[Python-Dev] Japanese Codecs

Andy Robinson andy@reportlab.com
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:45:57 +0100

> Message: 2
> From: "David Ascher" <DavidA@ActiveState.com>
> To: "Python Developers @ python.org" <python-dev@python.org>
> Subject: RE: [Python-Dev] Japanese Codecs
> Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 11:54:03 -0700
> charset="US-ASCII"
>
> > I just wish that these packagers actually become a reality
> > some day... the concept is good, but there currently seem to
> > be no volunteers or companies jumping in :-(
>
> I can't speak for Japanese packagers, but ActiveState will be packaging
> Python in various ways.

The handful of Python users who know some Japanese are kind of busy at the
moment, and the codec work takes more than a night or two; I was hoping to
tackle it myself, but as the only Python startup without any venture
funding, it is hard to clear aside the time without a customer; and it also
needs C skills.

I believe we should try and put resources together to fund this work and
ensure it gets done this year.  I can tell you that HP are now well and
truly out of the picture as a sponsor.  AFAIK the organisations who should
talk are at least...
   PythonLabs/BeOpen
   ActiveState
   Digital Garage
   PythonWare / Secret Labs ??? (not sure how rapid their global plans are)
   ReportLab

Are there any others?  Please get in touch with me...

feeling-rather-guilty-as-i18n-sig-coordinator-ly-yrs,

Andy Robinson