[Python-Dev] Re: [Image-SIG] RFC: Including PIL in 1.6

Fri, 9 Jun 2000 21:52:23 -0400

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 06:19:24PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>I think it's time to consider including PIL in the core Python 1.6 release.

-1 unless Fredrik says there's a C and Python API for extending PIL that
he's happy with, in which case it's +0.  I've written a few extensions for
PIL and it required a fair amount of grubbing around inside of C structures;
it isn't clear that the structures will be the same in future versions of
PIL.  We don't want to add something that people will extend messily, which
will then make fixing the API more difficult because of backward
compatibility.  (Disclaimer: I haven't looked at PIL 1.1 yet; maybe /F has
documented an API, or maybe he's pretty sure the data structures will remain
the same.)

OTOH, given that the Distutils is making good progress on building RPMs for
an arbitrary Python package, installing PIL may get much easier in future,
reducing the need to add it to the core.  But then Paul always yells at me
for that argument.  :)

--
A.M. Kuchling			akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Posting "Please send e-mail, since I don't read this group": Poster is