[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: distutils/distutils/command sdist.py,1.25,1.26

Ka-Ping Yee pingster@ilm.com
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:10:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
> Gah... "pattern_re.match (cur_base)" ...
>
> You do realize that God intended there to be no spaces between a function
> name and the opening paren? Heretic!
[...]
> Put another way: when
> you skim code, NAME( is a function call and NAME ( is something else. A
> space after a name usually indicates the name is participating in an
> expression, rather than being used as a function name.

Yesyesyes!

This is an absolute rule for me (in other languages too: in C, for
example, *always* a space between "if" or "for" and the open-paren).

I colourize based on this.  It's great -- the one green word on the
line stands out; it's the verb, and that lets me know what's going
on at a quick glance.

(My "Principle of Syntax Highlighting" is to highlight not by what
things are, but by what *role* they play.  Defining occurrence of
anything is a biggie.  Comments and docstrings are coloured alike;
docstrings are not data.  And so on.)

-- ?!ng