[Python-Dev] revamped Python web site

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 08:53:51 -0400

Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake@beopen.com>:
> [Eric S. Raymond]
>  >
>  >  My top wishlist item is "Burn all your GIFs".
>
>   Is it more important than accessibility?  This is a real issue for
> legacy browsers, especially on minority platforms.  One of the big
> wins for Python is that it is as portable as it is.  Does that matter
> if information is hard to get to?

Go check out the PNG site's census of PNG support in "legacy"
browsers. Basically, as long as your PNGs don't use transparency or
animation, you're fine.  You've already had the good taste to eschew
animation. I don't think you're using transparency anywhere that
simply matteing the image on a white background won't fix it -- and
gif2png has an option to do that.

>   A good reason to avoid using images for anything that isn't
> cosmetic!

I agree with that.
--

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes
the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and