[Python-Dev] Revised 1.6 jobs list

Peter Funk pf@artcom-gmbh.de
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 16:44:30 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

Greg Ward:
> But yeah, remote CVS still bites the big one.  Very painful over a 28.8k
> modem line.  (It sucks being a cheap bastard!)

Certainly you know about 'rsync'?  Would this help here?
Let me quote a small section from the 'rsync' man page:

"""    To synchronize my samba source trees I use  the  following
       Makefile targets:

              get:
              	rsync -avuzb --exclude ī*~ī samba:samba/ .

              put:
              	rsync -Cavuzb . samba:samba/

              sync: get put

       this  allows  me to sync with a CVS directory at the other
       end of the link. I then do cvs operations  on  the  remote
       machine,  which saves a lot of time as the remote cvs pro­
       tocol isnīt very efficient.  """

I can't access CVS because of our restrictive HTTP/UUCP only firewall,
but in our company we use 'rsync' a lot.

Regards, Peter