[Python-Dev] Revised 1.6 jobs list

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 03 Jun 2000 11:55:26 +0200

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> I've slightly revised the 1.6 jobs list
> at http://www.python.net/crew/amk/python/1.6-jobs.html .
> Things still on the TODO list, maybe:
>
> Import hooks revamp (or is this a post-1.6 thing?)
> Update the documentation to match 1.6 changes.
> Document more undocumented modules (goes without saying, really...) : codecs,
>         unicodedata, mmap, pyexpat, curses, regrtest.

I would appreciate some help with codec and unicodedata.
codec.py has quite a bit of __doc__ string documentation
which can be used more or less directly for the TeX docs.

> Unicode: Compress the size of unicodedatabase

Christian was working on this one, but I never got the
patches ... Chris ?

> Unicode: Write \N{SMILEY} codec for Unicode (Bill Tutt has a patch)

I wonder why that patch hasn't been accepted yet -- I guess
the patches list needs some more people willing to review things
and of course people with check in permissions.

I would volunteer to handle the above for the Unicode parts
of the distribution if someone would explain to me how to
checkin new code into SourceForge CVS.

> Unicode: the various XXX itemsin Misc/unicode.txt (or are they done?)

Hmm, there are no XXX markings left in my version of that
file -- perhaps I've missed adding it to the patch sets...

Anyway, the file will have to undergo some rewrite now that
the default encoding strategy has changed. I'll fix that next
week.

> Delete obsolete subdirectories in Demo/ directory
> Refurbish Demo subdirectories to be properly documented, match modern coding
>         style, etc.
> Fix ./ld_so_aix installation problem on AIX
> Make test.regrtest.py more usable outside of thePython test suite
> Conservative garbage collection of cycles (maybe -- I don't know what GvR
>         thinks about this)
> Changes to PyExpat module
> Test the hell out of SRE
>
> The end of coding may be in sight, leaving only the job of documenting
> everything new.  I'm getting kind of worried about the lengthening backlog
> of patches, though; maybe next week we can start cutting it down? (Quick,
> while Guido's away, everyone come up with new keywords and check them in!)

:-)

Still, you've got a point there: Trent's patches are getting
piled up and due to the fact that they touch many different
parts of the code, they are likely to get in the way of other
patches.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg