[Python-Dev] SF bug tracker

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:43:05 -0500

> Which interface do you like better: the SourceForge bug tracker or
> Jitterbug?  I am leaning towards moving the bug database from
> Jitterbug at python.org to SF.
>
> The advantages of moving to SF are:
>
> - bugs, patches, and CVS all managed by the same service
> - bugs can be assigned to specific people for resolution
> - cleaner interface for searching bugs
> - bugs can be assigned a priority
>
> The primary disadvantage of SF is email support.  Jitterbug can
> receive comments about a bug via email and add them to its database.
> The SF bug tracker does not.  It works like the patch manager,
> requiring you to use the Web interface to add more information.
>
> The SF bug tracker will send an email message every time a bug entry
> is updated, but that's it.

I would like to add that as far as I can tell we've only received a
very small number of Jitterbug bug reports via email.  In fact, the
only one I can find in my email archives that originated via email was
PR#110, which was in fact a followup!  (We got plenty of followups via
email, but that was because with Jitterbug it was actually *easier* to
use email than the web I/F.)

(Of course, this is not counting the bugs sent directly to
guido@python.org -- these are in the hundreds.)

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)