[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/nondist/peps pep-0000.txt,1.15,1.16

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:48:32 -0400 (EDT)

Barry,

A couple of suggestions on assigning PEP numbers:

Let's require at least an abstract before we assign a number.  We've
got a bunch of PEPs that have been assigned and never touched; all
they've got is a title and a name.  If we have an abstract,
non-experts and non-channelers have a better chance of figuring out
what the PEP is.

We might also think about a deadline or time limit.  If a PEP has no
activity for N days (90?), it is automatically changed to status
deferred.  After it has been deferred, we can assign it to a new
author.

There's not much point in making a big list of topics that people
would like to write about some day if they get the time.  It looks
like we now have seven PEPs with only a name and title.

Jeremy