[Python-Dev] SET_LINENO and python options

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:37:16 +0200 (CEST)

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> BTW, we already have "python -d" which sets the debugging
> flag. You could simply use that flag for generating the SET_LINENO
> opcodes.

You're right. In case someone is not on the patches list and wants
to test this, here's the log message of the latest patch update:

Date: 2000-Jul-31 07:57
By: marangoz

Comment:
Another rewrite, making this whole strategy b/w compatible according to
the 1st incompatibility point a) described in: http://www.python.org/pipermail/p
ython-dev/2000-July/014364.html

Changes:

1. f.f_lineno is computed and updated on f_lineno attribute requests for
   f, given f.f_lasti. Correctness is ensured because f.f_lasti is updated
   on *all* attribute accesses (in LOAD_ATTR in the main loop).

2. The standard setup does not generate SET_LINENO, but uses
   co_lnotab for computing the source line number (e.g. tracebacks)
   This is equivalent to the actual "python -O".

3. With "python -d", we fall back to the current version of the
   interpreter (with SET_LINENO) thus making it easy to test whether
   this patch fully replaces SET_LINENO's behavior.
   (modulo f->f_lineno accesses from legacy C code, but this is insane).

IMO, this version already worths the pain to be truly tested and improved.

One improvement is to define a nicer public C API for breakpoints:
 - PyCode_SetBreakPointAtLine(line)
 - PyCode_SetBreakPointAtAddr(addr)
or similar, which would install a CALL_TRACE opcode in the appropriate
location of the copy of co_code.

Another idea is to avoid duplicating the entire co_code just for storing
the CALL_TRACE opcodes. We can store them in the original and keep
a table of breakpoints. Setting the breakpoints would occur whenever
the sys.settrace hook is set.

For more info, visit:

http://sourceforge.net/patch/?func=detailpatch&patch_id=101022&group_id=5470

--