2-arg opcodes (was Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 203 Augmented Assignment)

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 02:25:08 +0200 (CEST)

Greg Ewing wrote:

> Either way, I don't see any justification to reject the idea of
> having 2-arg opcodes because of speed, which is what the
> original post seemed to be saying. Or maybe I misunderstood.

The latter. I was objecting to Guido's suggestion to time it and
see... I'm not opposed to the idea, although it is likely to slow
things down. But assuming we don't talk about performance, I
don't see a reason for not thinking about a generalized scheme
with variable-size arguments, (cf. classical CPU instruction sets)
that is, instructions which operate on 1-, 2- or 4-byte arguments.

if-you-wanna-fix-it-do-it-like-a-man-<wink>'ly y'rs
--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr