[Python-Dev] Should repr() of string should observe locale?

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 20:08:58 +0300 (IDT)

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> There have been some requests (Francois Pinard, recently Alexander
> Voinov) that repr() of a string should not use escape sequences for
> characters that are printable according to the locale.
>
> I don't have the time to write a PEP or implement it (although it
> should be simple enough) but it needs to be recorded as a feature that
> I think is good (that's at least a +0).

I don't. Most people who are requesting it are requesting it for the
purpose of the interactive Python session. I think there is general
agreement that there should be a way to better control the REPL from
Python (my, now lost, sys.display patch, for example). Wouldn't that
solve the problem?
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.