[Python-Dev] Developer activity (Was: New winreg module really an improvement?)

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:54:07 -0500

> > > Well, the same goes for Guido.
>
> > Not sure what you mean.  I'm too busy to offer feedback on anything?
> > Give me a break!  I probably spend 4 hours reading and responding to
> > python-dev each day.
>
> Unless I misinterpreted you, *you yourself* said this, Guido. (I can look
> this up if you wish.) PEPs are there so you (and others, like me) don't
> have to follow the details of each discussion. I didn't mean to imply you
> (or anyone else) don't consider python-dev important enough to follow,
> absolutely not. I just meant that we can't expect you (or anyone) to give
> feedback on *everything*, given the pace of messages yesterday (or any of
> the other bursts of activity.)

You were commenting on Digital Creation's total absence.  I am busy,
but I am still very much involved in everything that goes on here,
hence my reaction of "no fair!"  That said, *nobody* can deal with 500
messages in one weekend, so the creations of PEPs should be received
enthusiastically by all.

> Reading all messages is something else than understanding the issues,
> considering them and proposing new solutions or new ways of viewing them.

And believe me, whereever I can, I do!

> So do I. I think thread-safety should be solved differently, even though I
> think it should be solved, somehow. ThreadSafeDict, with explicit
> grab/release lock ? :P

Library issue.

> But that was the other sub-thread. In this particular case, I was referring
> to the slicing thing, but I'm probably too impatient and urging on these
> issues. (Actually, I know I am. I'm just a tad worried things like this will
> go on and on and get lost and etc, etc, etc.)

The slicing reorg is all pie-in-the-sky.  Good for a post-2.0 PEP.

> I'll be implementing the seperate AUGMENTED_ADD/SUBTRACT/etc ops this
> weekend, I think, and removing the 2-argument opcodes etc.

Good!

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)