[Python-Dev] PEP 203 Augmented Assignment

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:10:07 +1200 (NZST)

Guido van Rossum <guido@beopen.com>:

> But the two-arg opcode format slows down the opcode decoding -- and
> that's the most time-critical part of all of ceval.c!

I don't see why that has to be so, as long as you don't try
to pre-fetch the extra argument before switching on the
opcode. Just leave it up to each branch of the switch to
fetch another argument if needed.

In fact, why not do that for one-argument opcodes as well?
If what you say is true, that should make argument decoding
even faster than it is now!