[Python-Dev] PEP 203 Augmented Assignment

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:22:48 +0200

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 06:13:16PM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> Sorry, that was my feebleness popping up. I was talking about __getslice__.
> How do we find out if __getslice__ accepts 4 arguments, rather than 3 ?

Actually, it wasn't the feebleness as much as the two different things you
seem to be wanting, Guido ;) Previously (in another thread, and perhaps in
the start of this thread as well) you argued that an index should always
call __getitem__, with a slice object if it's a slice of some kind, *even a
basic one*. So that we lose __getslice__ and rather teach people to use
__getslice__.

So now you want to *extend* the 'special case' to extended, 3-argument
slices, but *not* Ellipses and tupled-slices (which aren't really tuples,
because you can do (1, 2:5, ...)) -- or am I reading this wrong ? :)

Don't worry, Guido, it isn't just you, I failed to grasp what those managers
were trying to tell me today, too... I may just be too dense, today.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>