[Python-Dev] was Re: Type inference now simplicity (fwd)

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:03:51 +0200 (CEST)

Moshe Zadka wrote:

> > For instance:
> >
> > 1. It is unacceptable that Python blows when a generated code object
> >    happens to be greater than 2 bytes. If this doesn't get fixed in
> >    the VM, the compiler should at least check for this overflow and
> >    refuse to emit the bytecode stream.
>
> Can you elaborate on that? At least the numeric typo error makes this
> a guessing job <wink>

I won't :-)
Of course I meant the case where the size doesn't fit in 2 bytes, i.e. > 32k

> >    Python core dumps on several known situations, notably those that
> >    involve recursive calls.
>
> This doesn't have to do with low-memory conditions, this is because Python
> uses the C stack.

I know, it has been discussed to death. So what?
Live with it (the C stack) and fix the code, as it has been done for
recursive comparisons and marshal.

The point of my mail isn't in the details, though...
As you might guess, I haven't been exhaustive regarding the current
state of the (C) implementation.

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr