[Python-Dev] test_fork1 on SMP? (was Re: [Python Dev] test_fork1 failing --with-threads (for some people)...)

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 01:17:03 -0400

>     Fred> Barry may have access to an SMP Sparc machine; if so, we'll
>     Fred> be checking it out there.

[Barry]
> I thought I did, but nope, it's a single processor.  What about SF?

In parallel, could someone summarize the symptoms?  Exactly how does it
fail?  Does it fail the same way across all platforms on which it does fail?
Does it fail every time on all platforms on which it fails, or fail only
some of the time on all platforms on which it fails, or fails some of the
time on some of the platforms on which it fails but fails all of the time on
the rest of the platforms on which it fails <wink>?

If there exists a platform on which it fails but it doesn't fail every time
on that platform, that would be strong evidence of a timing hole.  Those
usually require <gasp!> thought to identify and repair.  I'll voluteer to
eyeball the code and do some thinking, but not unless the symptoms suggest
that's worthwhile.

ignorantly y'rs  - tim