[PEP202 listcomps] (was RE: [Python-Dev] Product iteration)

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:19:05 -0500

> It derives in turn from SETL, which followed common set-theoretic
> notation.  This "grabbed" Guido; LISP spellings never did, and I bet
> never will.

I've never used or even seen SETL, but there is a connection: SETL had
a profound influence on the designers of ABC, in particular Lambert
Meertens, who spent a sabbatical year working with the folks at New
York University who wrote the first validated Ada compiler in SETL.

(http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-lang/Ada/comp-lang-ada/part2/
question 4.2.2, to save you the Google search.)

I happen to have a standing invitation to come give a talk there...

Since I'm posting in this thread anyway, I am with Tim -- I like Greg
Ewing's proposed syntax best, for the reasons Tim stated.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)