[Python-Dev] Makefile and dependencies

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 20:32:43 +0300 (IDT)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> The Python Makefiles do not contain enough dependency information to
> do incremental builds safely.  If you change a .h file, none of the .c
> files that use it will be re-compiled unless they were also changed.
> This makes it a bit more tedious to test new code, because you need to
> do a make clean to be sure you're getting everything.
>
> I know next-to-nothing about makefiles.  Is there anyone with some
> expertise in this area who could contribute better dependency
> information?  Or is the lack of dependency information a conscious
> decision?

Well, there could probably be an improvement, but not one that would
*ensure* safe incremental builds. The fundamental problems is that
it's using recursive make, which tends to have this problem. (Anyone has a
URL handy for Recursive Make Considered Harmful?). In the mean time,
perhaps running makedepend on the makefiles can improve the situation.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.