[Python-Dev] Berkeley DB

Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:46:51 -0400

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 12:29:34PM -0400, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>I don't think any of these features are acceptable for a core module.

So what should we do WRT BerkeleyDB?  The existing module in Python
only really supports BSDDB 1.85.  Robin Dunn's module, and the
enhanced version of it by Greg someone-or-other, uses SWIG.

Options I can think of:

1) Give up and do nothing
2) Try fixing SWIG.
3) Include the SWIG-generated code as it stands
4) Write a custom new BerkeleyDB extension.  (In time for 2.0b1?  Iffy...)

I think the only solution is to do the job right and do #4, though it
might wind up being postponed until Python 2.1, or whatever comes
after 2.0.

--amk