[Python-Dev] Features for Python 2.0

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:37:30 +0200

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 09:24:08AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> (General meta-comment on PEPs: these long intros explaining the
> problem are a detriment to finding the actual proposal.  Perhaps we
> could have a one-paragraph explanation for the need, then a concrete
> proposal, then motivation and rationale and background, and then
> raised objections plus responses?  Currently the rationale seems to be
> coming up front, which distracts from the proposal.)

You can put Barry in Cardinal Fang's chair for that one ! :) He suggested to
use his PEP201, Parallel Iteration, as a working example of a PEP. And
PEP201 starts with a relatively long introduction of how for-loops and the
current map(None, seq1, seq2) work.

I've been meaning to ask people about the format, layout and style of the
PEPs, but kept deferring it until after PEP-203 ;P Jeremy and Tim mentioned
a Rationale section, but didn't give any clues as to what it should look
like, and where and/or how it should be placed in the rest of the PEP. It's
also hard to keep the PEP both concise and easy to read for those not
initiated in the confusing ways of the Python ;-)

Who are we writing PEPs for ? For you, Guido ? For the python-dev team as a
whole ? For python-list ? For the whole of the Python community ? A
collection of parts of one or more of the above ? Answer that question and
the faults in all current PEPs become obvious ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>