[Python-Dev] Features for Python 2.0

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:39:58 -0400 (EDT)

  >> Would anyone feel really bad if we postpone list comprehensions
  >> and augmented assignments to a later version? I'm a bit afraid of
  >> those features, since they are quite large, and it is yet
  >> uncertain how programs which use those features will look. (OTOH,
  >> zip will simply replace some map(None) and iterating in parallel
  >> by index, and [0:10:2] will replace range(0, 10, 2), so we have a
  >> pretty good idea about their effects)

  GvR> If you folks hadn't wasted so much time discussion augmented
  GvR> print statements and new operators, we could have had the
  GvR> augmented assignments and list comprehensions checked in
  GvR> already!

Not so fast Mr. Van Rossum!  We need to get the specifications for
these features written first.  Barry should be updating the PEP
guidelines today, and Tim and Thomas have been assigned PEPs on the
two most controversial features.  Yesterday, I proposed we set Aug. 9
as the deadline for completing the specs.

Until we have the specs, I don't think we need to have lots of
long-winded debates about whether the features scare people :-).

Jeremy