[Python-Dev] guidelines for contributing to Python

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 07:49:03 -0500

>   Why would these be PEPs?  I know some of us had discussed that a
> style guide should be written as part of the standard documentation.
> The PEPs exist largely for developers of Python's interpreters and
> standard library.  The style guide is for a larger audience, so needs
> to be part of the standard documentation.

Good point.  But...

>   I stated at some point that I would convert Guido's "essay"; perhaps
> that should move up the list of priorities so that the other people
> interested can work with it; I seem to recall that you, Greg Wilson,
> and possibly Jeremy were interested.

The issue is that a new PEP feels much more lightweight than a new
manual section.

>  > Any objections to PEPing these, even though it may be a little while
>  > before they're fleshed out?  Anybody else care to champion them?  If
>  > not, I will do it.
>
>   I'm willing if this is part of the standard documentation.

The Python style guide should probably go into the standard docs.

The C style guide might as well be one of the meta-PEPs, like the
index (maybe call it PEP 0100).

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)