[Python-Dev] Status of re...???

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:30:44 -0400 (EDT)

Good question! I'm at a complete loss about what's going on with the
re module. There is no point in having a test that is supposed to
fail, because it's impossible to tell the difference between an
expected failure and an unexpected failure.

I just proposed some guidelines for contributing code, which probably
cross your message in transit, that included a guideline that no
checked in code should cause the regression test to fail.

If the problem is known SRE bugs, I think the re test should be
temporarily changed to eliminate the known bugs.  If SRE is later
fixed, the test cases can be restored.

What is the current schedule for fixing SRE?  I need to know for the
release schedule.

Jeremy