[Python-Dev] extended print statement, uPre-PEP

Sun, 23 Jul 2000 23:24:16 -0500 (CDT)

    Paul> I think it is also worthwhile to recognize "conventions" that
    Paul> could be made clearer with first-class syntax. List comprehensions
    Paul> replace the map/lambda convention (and would IMHO, allow
    Paul> map/filter, at-least, to be deprecated). Range literals replace
    Paul> the for i in range(...) convention and so forth.

Range literals would also allow compilers such as Python2C to optimize
Python ints to C ints.  It can't do this today without assuming that range()
and xrange return a sequence of ints.

I guess I'll stick my neck way out there with Barry and say I rather like
his "print @" proposal.  Most new Python programmers learn about print
earlier than a combination of somefile.write() + the "%" operator.  While it
might mostly be syntactic sugar, it is generally easier for new folks to
understand.  I suspect (though won't bother to check) that most of the I/O
in the Python tutorial uses print instead of sys.stdout.write as well.
Extending print's semantics to other file-like objects makes sense to me.

--
Skip Montanaro, skip@mojam.com, http://www.mojam.com/, http://www.musi-cal.com/
"To get what you want you must commit yourself for sometime" - fortune cookie