[Python-Dev] ANSIfication problems: signalmodule.c doesn't compile

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 21:40:06 +0200

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 08:07:31PM +0200, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> file signalmodule.c, line 146:

> #if RETSIGTYPE != void
>  return 0;
> #endif

> is that really a valid preprocessor expression?

According to how I interpreted gcc's documentation, yes. And it works, too,
with gcc. I'll readily admit gcc isn't the perfect example of ANSIness
though.

> if I understand the ANSI specification correctly, it should be interpreted
> as "0 != 0" (in other words, it doesn't quite do what the author expected),
> but MSVC 5.0 thinks that this is fatal error.

I guess I should've mentioned this seperately, in my posting last night ;)
Ohwell, I doubt I would've come up with something as good as Tim's solution
even if I knew the above wasn't valid.

As for the other point, I'd say drop the support for 'int'-returning systems
altogether. If such systems are still in use, they would've been generating
warnings for a long time now. Apparently noone noticed.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>