[Python-Dev] extended print statement, uPre-PEP

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 18:14:13 +0200

paul wrote:

> Oh really? I thought that this was in the guidelines:
>=20
> "There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do =
it.."
>=20
> Of course it must be balanced with everything else in the guidelines,
> but it should be a factor. Also:
>=20
> "Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules."

you obviously didn't read the 10-year old post I pointed to:

    "...everything else I could think of had other disadvantages.
    Perhaps printing is one of these things that are important
    enough to warrant more than one way to do things, even
    in Python..."

:::

I don't know if your recent campaign to remove things from Python is
an attempt to compensate for all the PEP stuff, or if you really think
Python will become easier to use if we start removing the stuff that
makes it easy to use...

...but instead of speculating, I'm just going to quote someone else:

    "I will refrain from further comments in this vein, and simply
    place my faith in the benevolent dictator."

:::

now back to PEP200.

</F>